Friday, August 26, 2005

Closing down a quiet week

It's been a low-key week...especially after my Tuesday flurry.

Wednesday afternoon I had an interview for a job at a non-profit umbrella organization, and I'm still waiting to hear back--which says something. It went decently, but I think the man I interviewed with--the President--was expecting/hoping for someone older than myself.

Later that evening, two good friends were down from Pittsburgh--one for job interviews, her husband just for the ride. It was fun to see both of them Wednesday night and during the day Thursday. It was a good excuse to go to a great mexican place in the neighborhood for lunch.

Today? Not much has been going on. Just trying to wrap up some emails that I've had outstanding for a while. If I've missed you after today, send me harassment telling me that I should probably write you back.

I don't have any of my own creativity to add to the ephemeral world of blogging today, so I'll drop a couple of paragraphs from Paul Krugman's piece in today's NYTimes. It's something that most of us recognize relatively easily, but many who make the high-level decisions seem to miss.

"You may ask where economic growth is going, if it isn't showing up in wages. That's easy to answer: it's going to corporate profits, to rising health care costs and to a surge in the salaries and other compensation of executives. (Forbes reports that the combined compensation of the chief executives of America's 500 largest companies rose 54 percent last year.)

The bottom line, then, is that most Americans have good reason to feel unhappy about the economy, whatever Washington's favorite statistics may say. This is an economic expansion that hasn't trickled down; many people are worse off than they were a year ago. And it will take more than a revamped administration sales pitch to make people feel better."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.