Sunday, March 26, 2006

Winners, and Everyone Else

Apologies to myself for the early post, but am going to try something dangerous today: get out of the city and go for a hike--gasp!--outside!

Edward Cody, whom I refer to frequently here, writes for the Washington Post. His story today is about the winners and losers in China's growing economy. Not revolutionary, since any time there is change there are winners and losers. But what is interesting to me is that this is a recurring story, about every 3 or 4 months here in the states. And it's been recurring for several years now. And until recently, the Chinese Communist Party has done very little to recognize the situation, much less remedy it.

Maybe this is something I'll ponder, and write more on when I get back--if I survive the contact with non-city life.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I'm sure you'll read it, but the Economist's cover story this week is about rural China.