Monday, October 24, 2005

On Furtunes

For a while now, I've thought it would be great to have "bad" fortune cookies. You know, something to break up the saccharine nice-ness of the sayings in fortune cookies. Not because I'm looking for bad things to happen to people, but because the possibility of something other than, "you're days will always be bright an shining," would increase the excitement from fortune cookies.

Someting like, "bad things happen when you talk more than you listen," or, "There are great things to be done, but today, focus on the little things."

Today at lunch I got something close to what I was asking for. I went to "Lucky takeout" on U street. I ordered one of the "spicy" lunch specials, and asked for it extra hot. I'm pretty sure the store is run by Norweigians in disguise--still not hot.


But this was in my fortune cookie:

There is in the worst of fortunes the best chance of a happy ending.
I'm not really sure what I should read into this, though, since I picked up the take-out on the way back from an interview for a job I'm very interested in.

Apparently, "be careful what you wish for" is valid, even in this "Island, surrounded on all sides by reality."





No comments: